January 5, 2013

Extra Eyes

One of the things about being blind is that you can't always see what you need to see. That might seem like an obvious point, but that's what leads me to the next blessing I'm thankful for...

MY EXTRA EYES!


My parents always taught me to be as independent as I could be. They made sure I could at least do my own laundry, cook my own food, stuff like that. (My specialties are cereal in milk, peanut butter sandwiches and instant oatmeal, but I can mix it up with grilled cheese sandwiches, spaghetti with sauce and heated up soup from a can!) 

I generally take care of myself just like anybody else would, and I get around pretty well on my own, but there are times when I do have to depend on someone else for help.
  • I can't drive a car (well, I CAN, but not legally and not well!)
  • Though I'm usually alright, I don't always notice if a branch is hanging in my way or the pavement steps down.
  • Odds are, if you ask me to squash the bug on the wall or carpet, I won't know what you're talking about.
  • I'm not the best at matching clothes in the morning or making sure my hair looks good.
  • Movie subtitles are almost never big enough to read, even when I'm in the front row!
For these and other random moments when I don't have a clue what's going on around me, I depend on the extra eyes of others, and I am truly thankful for the many times there has been someone there for me to turn to.
In school, teachers and other students often looked after me and were willing to step in when they saw me struggling.

When I went to college, I was on my own more than ever before, and I did pretty well, but if I needed to go to the store or I needed help with something, there were friends I could ask who sometimes went out of their way for me. One friend - Seth - was there for me so many times, I used to hear others joke that he was my eyes!

After college, my wife Amber has been a God-send! While I know it's frustrating for her to have to drive all the time, and we both wish I could see better, she never complains and always does her best to make sure I'm taken care of. I am constantly blessed because she has been willing to take on so much for me.
And if I tried, I couldn't list all of the friends, neighbors, pastors, teachers, relatives, and even strangers who have been willing to read things, explain things, drive me places I needed to go, help me find things and just generally treat me with kindness and patience and love and respect!

To all of those who have been my extra eyes over the years...

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

I praise God for you, and pray you'll see all kinds of extra blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment