April 24, 2013

The Eagle in the Clouds

Recently I mentioned the importance of looking for beauty in the world around you. I also mentioned a while back that - according to the doctors - my vision is so bad, I'm not supposed to be able to see shapes in clouds, but the doctors were wrong. I'm often amazed at the shapes and colors God paints in the sky!

I should preface the rest of this by admitting that Amber and I have struggled in several ways this past year. From financial hurdles and work-related stresses to questions about the direction of our future, we've both felt like we were seriously under attack from Satan. For a few months at the end of 2012 and beginning of 2013, we even felt like we were having trouble clicking together. It's not that we thought our marriage was in jeopardy, but it seemed like whenever I was in a good mood, she had a terrible day, and when she was feeling better, I was frustrated. It was certainly a trying time, yet we continued to care for each other and pray together for the Lord's help.

Well, one day this past February, Amber and I were on our way somewhere when she commented how beautiful the colors were in the sunset. I hadn't noticed because the sun was setting on her side of the car, but when she pointed it out, I agreed it was very pretty. At the time, I was participating in a "photo-a-day" project with RethinkChurch via Twitter, and I wasn't sure if I'd want it for one of my entries or not, but I decided to take a picture of the sunset with my phone, just in case...

Interestingly, when I held the phone down to look at the image, I saw something there I hadn't seen originally. To my amazement, I saw a giant flying eagle in the clouds! I showed Amber, and she said she hadn't noticed it before, either, but I was right!


It's hard to explain, but seeing the eagle in the clouds really seems to be just what we needed!
It came across to us like a sign from God that everything would be alright!

Looking at the image, I was immediately reminded of a couple Bible verses:

"He will cover you with his feathers.
He will shelter you with his wings.
His faithful promises are your armor and protection."
- Psalm 91:4 (NLT)

"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
they shall walk and not faint."
- Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV)

Since then, I've also remembered the picture and been blessed as I've come across other verses that remind me of God's presence and power:

"The Lord was like an eagle
teaching its young to fly,
always ready to swoop down
and catch them on its back."
- Deuteronomy 32:11 (CEV)

"Do not fear, for I am with you,
do not be afraid, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."
- Isaiah 41:10

"For you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy."
- Psalm 63:7

Our problems didn't magically disappear after that day, but God has used the eagle in the clouds to remind Amber and me that he is with us, and we can trust him to help us. This encouragement has helped us to work past some of our problems, and it has strengthened our faith.

We are blessed because God has helped us and we know he will continue to help us!

I want to encourage you that you, too, can trust the Lord in the midst of whatever struggles you face. And I hope you will never forget to look for God wherever you are today!





1 comment:

  1. I love Isaiah 41:10. That verse really helped me at the end of last year.

    ReplyDelete