January 3, 2013

Blindness

As I said before, the right perspective can make all the difference. It's easy to see how being legally blind could be a negative thing - it presents challenges every day, and sometimes it's downright frustrating - and it's certainly nothing I would wish on someone else. I'm sure that being able to see well is a gift that makes life a lot simpler for those who have it! But just because something is challenging, that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

In a lot of ways, I feel like God has blessed me with blindness.

My vision (or lack thereof) does not define me, but it has certainly shaped me:
  • Since I couldn't play sports, I became more introspective and focused more on my schoolwork than I otherwise might have.
  • My vision has brought me into contact with a lot of people I might never have met.
  • I think it's given me a deeper sensitivity and empathy for others with special needs, and a desire to help where I can.
  • It has forced me to develop greater patience and determination in the face of obstacles.
  • It played a role in deciding where I would go to school, and I'm so thankful to have gone where I did.
  • It has taught me the importance of depending on God for all things - and I have seen that he is always faithful!
Not to mention, when I ride with someone who is a bad driver, it's not really all that scary since I can't see all the near accidents! ;) (Not that my wife is a bad driver - I love you, honey!)

I'm not saying that if I had my choice, I wouldn't choose to be healed. But I do believe that I am who I am partly because of my physical limitations, and that's not an entirely bad thing. Challenges can be healthy because they force us to grow!

Even when we don't understand and things are difficult, God is good!

What challenges have helped you to become a better person???


No comments:

Post a Comment