August 12, 2013

Lofty Mountain Grandeur

This past week, Amber and I went to visit her family in the state of Delaware (Dela-where?), and then on Friday, we drove down to Virginia for a wedding ceremony for one of Amber's cousins.

Amber and I have made the trip to Delaware and back several times in the six years since we moved back to Kentucky, but because of the wedding in Virginia, we had to take a different route home than we're used to this time, and I have to say, I'm so glad we had to go the way we did!

I've lived in the foothills of Eastern Kentucky for most of my life, and I've always been fascinated by the beauty of nature, so whenever we travel, I'm often looking out my window at the mountains and valleys we go past. But our new route this time took us through the rolling hills of Virginia and the great mountains of Southern West Virginia, and it was an absolutely breath-taking ride! At one point, Amber had to ask if I was alright, because my eyes were glued as wide open as they could get, and I was just staring out the window! I was just mesmerized by what I was seeing!!

Thankfully, as we were driving up the West Virginia Turnpike, I finally had the good sense to take out my phone and snap a few pictures of the amazing scenery...


As I took it all in, I couldn't help but think of how great God is. His works are truly amazing!

"Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens,
      your faithfulness to the clouds. 

Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
      your judgements are like the great deep;
      you save humans and animals alike, O Lord."

- Psalm 36:5-6

"You answer us with awesome and righteous deeds,
     God our Savior,
the hope of all the ends of the earth
     and of the farthest seas,
who formed the mountains by your power,
     having armed yourself with strength...
The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders; 
     where morning dawns, where evening fades,
     you call forth songs of joy."
- Psalm 65:5-6, 8 (NIV)

"Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,
      which cannot be moved, but abides for ever. 

As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
      so the Lord surrounds his people,
      from this time on and for evermore."

- Psalm 125:1-2

I was also struck by the bravery of those early pioneers who had first forged a path through this wilderness, long before anything like an Interstate was ever imagined!

It's such a blessing to consider that we are like little ants in this great big giant world, and yet we can make a difference with a little hard work and determination. It's an even greater blessing to know that even though we are so seemingly small and insignificant, the great God who created all these things still watches over us and cares for us! (see Psalm 8)


Of course, Amber and I were thrilled to get to spend time with family and loved ones in Delaware and Virginia. We always look forward to the times we get to share there... And after a week away and so many hours on the road, we're so thankful to be safe at home and have our own bed again... But I just had to praise the Lord for the journey in between!

"Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
who alone does wondrous things.
Blessed be his glorious name for ever;
may his glory fill the whole earth.  

Amen and Amen!"
        - Psalm 72:18-19


No comments:

Post a Comment